Assistant Professor of COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Dr. Naim Rashid (32) has won the International Green Talent Award 2015. Dr. Naim got this award for his research on “Producing Bio-Energy from Waste Materials and the Treatments of Waste Water through Microalgae”.
Dr. Naim is PhD in Civil and Environmental Technology with specialization in Renewable energy production (focus on biofuels), Water and wastewater treatment from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST). Later on he joined COMSATS as an assistant professor. Twenty seven candidates from different universities of the world have won this prestigious award and Dr. Naim Rashid was among those lucky candidates.
According to Green Talents, “In his research into bio-energy, Naim has used microalgae for bio-hydrogen, biodiesel, bio-ethanol production. He used microalgae in fuel cell for bio-diesel production and electricity generation. The most unique feature of Naim’s research is that it uses spent microalgae instead of the most commonly used oil-enriched biomass. To promote bio-energy research in Pakistan, he used cheap and locally available feed stocks, such as poultry waste, kitchen waste and plant biomasses. He used these feedstocks for biogas production. His research encompasses a wide area including Engineering (Chemical, Biochemical, Industrial, Bioprocess, Environmental, Agriculture and Water Resource), Technology, Science (Chemistry, Biochemistry) Management, and Sustainable Development. Naim articulates the pressing nature of his research, which can contribute to sustainable energy production, water and wastewater treatment around the world.”
The ideas and research of Dr. Naim was highly appreciated by the jury and they appreciated his commitment and aim towards the utilization of new technology.
Here are the other awards won by Dr. Naim Rashid in past:
- Awarded fully funded scholarship by Higher Education Commission of Pakistan, for MS studies in Republic of Korea
- Awarded merit scholarship during MS studies in Myongji University, Republic of Korea
- Selected for Erasmus Mundus Ph.D. fellowship (EteCoS3 EMJD) in UNESCO-IHE, The Netherland
- Selected as provisional candidate for MEXT PhD fellowship, Japan
- Awarded merit scholarship by Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Tech (KAIST) for PhD studies
- Awarded scholarship by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology, Republic of Korea for Ph.D. research studies