Lahore Metro bus Service is rapid transit project that is inaugurated by Chief Minister Punjab Mian Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif at 10 am , 10 February 2013. Shahbaz Sharif said that Metro Bus Project is a big achievement of the Punjab government and a symbol of long term friendship between Pakistan and Turkey, He also expressed special thanks to Mayer of Istanbul for cooperation in completion of the project.This project completed in 11 months.
It would be made available to the general public in a few weeks,
He also said that
The cooperation of contractors and all concerned institutions is laudable. For the first two weeks, metro bus would be run free-of-cost, and later, its fare would be kept affordable for the common man.
- The 27Km long route will take only 50 minutes to complete on the Volvo buses.
- The person above then 58 age will be travel free on this bus.
- Each bus has a passenger capacity of 150 and a bus will be available at every one of the 19 stations throughout the city after 3 minutes during peak hours.
- During off peak hours a bus will be available at a station after every 6 minutes and after every 10 minutes during late hours.
- The time for the service will be from 6.30am to 10.30pm.
- A security detail comprising of 150 men will also be present for the safety and monitoring of the Lahore Metro Bus service.
- The security officers will have motorbikes and latest weapons and will be able to respond to any kind of threat within no time. There will be 6 security check posts throughout.
- There is also the concept of Metro Smartcard. If you are a frequent traveller then you can buy a Metro Smartcard once and swap it on the automated doors of the station platform whenever you wish to travel.
- The Smartcard can be recharged from the vending machine. This all is the part of Intelligent Transport System that will be viewed and monitored from the office of PITB (Punjab Information Technology Board).
Shahbaz Sharif Drives Metrobus in Test Run at Lahore. It seems the Metro Bus Service will bring about a revolution in public transport.