The purpose of making an organisation like Higher Education Commission (HEC) was to improve socio-economic position of needy and talented students by providing them quality education. For this purpose HEC introduced the scheme of need based scholarships for deserving students. Since Government of Pakistan is well aware of the financial problems of students and acknowledges that this problems is the main barrier for the students to get higher education, hence a substantial amount of funds are reserved for the improvement of the education sector of Pakistan.
National income statistics of Pakistan show that around 80% of Pakistani families are not capable of sending their children to Universities. Not only this but among 40 countries Pakistan was ranked on the last number on the basis of percentage share of enrolment in private higher education. This study was conducted by the World Bank in 1994. Thus in 2002 HEC was made in order to combat this problem with a vision to “transform institutions of higher education into world class seats of learning”.
Since then HEC has been able to start 6000 scholarships for those students who cannot afford the education due to lack of finances. The main areas targeted were Agriculture and Business Administration programs.
Objectives of HEC need based scholarships
- To provide those students with an opportunity who are talented and bright but have financial problems and are unable to continue their education. The financial aid provided is in 11 partner institutions or universities in the field of business administration and agriculture.
- To give those people an opportunity, who are academically well qualified but are financially weak nonetheless and those Pakistani students who belong to rural areas or remote areas to continue their university studies in partner universities in the fields of Agriculture and Business Administration. These remote and rural areas include FATA, Khyber Pukhtunkhwa, Southern Punjab, Baluchistan and Northern parts of Sindh.
Eligibility Criteria for Availing HEC Need Based Scholarship
- Those students who already made it to the University and are currently enrolled can apply if they are categorised as needy
- Neediness of the applying candidate is determined by the assessment of Institutional Scholarship Award Committee and financial background of the applicant’s family is considered
- If a candidate is applying for Medicine, Pharm-D or any other five year program and the candidate is judged as needy, full five year program funding will be provided.
- University has the right to dismiss a discipline for the eligibility or illegibility of scholarship keeping in view the grant provided to them, cost of the program and available seats.
- Actual tuition fee will be provided by the scholarship and PKR 6000 stipend per month will additionally be given to the eligible candidates.
How to Apply:
- HEC looks forward to support needy students in sharing educational expenses. However please note that under this scholarships scheme, the funds are not transferred directly to students by HEC. The payment is made to needy students through participating Universities/Institutions.
- The deserving students can obtain complete Scholarship Application Form from the Financial Aid Office (FAO) at the participating University/Institution or can be downloaded.
- The Scholarship Form will be submitted along with supporting documents to the same Financial Aid office (at university only) after completion.(HEC will not accept any application form directly)
- Students need to get admission in any one of the approved disciplines at the participating Universities/Institutions as per their admission criteria.
For Further Details & Information: